Bankruptcy Do's and Don'ts
Please do the following things as you prepare for your consultation.
- Locate your last 2 years of tax returns. If you have not filed for tax years that are past due, please take steps to prepare those returns as well.
- Gather documentation of your income for the last 6 months (paystubs, etc.).
- Obtain copies of the deeds and titles to property that you own.
- Find your Social Security card or order a replacement card from the Social Security Administration.
There is a difference between what may seem fair to you and what the law says. Please consult with our office about your legal rights before you make any major decisions.
- Don’t give away or sell any valuable property (cars, bank accounts, real estate).
- Don’t repay money owed to family or friends.
- Don’t continue to use your credit cards for purchases or balance transfers.
- Don’t hide assets from us. We need to know what you have, so we can protect it.
- Don’t take money out of your IRA or 401(k).
- Don’t put your name on someone else’s bank account, car title, or deed.